Are you struggling to dress up in the morning despite having so many clothes in your closet? Or do you just give up on shopping because you don’t know what or where to buy your clothes? The issues are, you don’t know what basics to buy and you don’t know where to buy them. I will list 15 essentials to build your wardrobe and where to purchase them.
Fashions fade, style is eternal. Yves Saint LaurentAbout three times a year, fashion designers gather together and launch fashion shows. Stores take styles out of the fashion show to come up with “Trends,”.The problem with trends is that it has a limit. Checks and ruffles may be trending this season but not next season. As such, it is essential to discover your style. I highly recommend that you own several crucial items in your closet and just purchase a couple of trendy pieces when they come out to diversify your wardrobe.
1.White TeeA white Tee shirt is versatile, and one can wear it an anytime of the year and to nearly any occasion. You can wear it to work under a blazer or to a date night beneath a moto jacket. Additionally, you can also wear a white tee shirt just out and about along with your favorite pair of denim jeans. Purchasing a high quality 100% cotton white tee will save you time and money in the long run.
- Scoop Neck Tee – $12.80 Pact
- The Cotton V-Neck – $15.00 Everlane
- James Perse Short Sleeve V Neck Tee $60.00 – Shopbop
2. Silk CamisolesA silk camisole is another versatile piece that can be worn either on their own or as a layering piece. You can go for satin, linen or chiffon camisoles if you do not like silk.
- Kendall & Kylie Silk Lace Cami – $27.97 Nordstrom Rack
- Topshop Satin Camisole – $30 Nordstrom
- The Double-Lined Silk V-Neck Cami – $65 Everlane
3.Button Down ShirtYou can dress up a button down shirt with jeans or dress it down with a skirt or trouser pants making this element yet another versatile piece and a fundamental basic. Purchase a striped button-up shirt to add versatility to your basics.
- Gingham classic button-down shirt in boy fit $22.50 J Crew Factory
- Vince Camuto Stripe Lace-Up Back Button-Down Shirt -$24.75
- The Relaxed Poplin Shirt – $65 Everlane
4.Knit SweaterA lightweight knit sweater is essential for those cooler weathers where you do not want to be too hot or too cold. Did I mention how great they look with some jeans and riding boots? Pick a neutral color so you can dress it with everything in our closet.
- Cotton Caryn Cardigan Sweater – $21.50 J Crew Factory
- Dolman Sweater Tunic $ 59.50 Lou & Grey
- Summer Ryder Cardigan – $69.50 Madewell
5. Black Pencil SkirtA black pencil skirt is one of the perfect pieces that can take you from workday to night out. Go for fitted cropped trousers if you do not like wearing skirts
- Kendall & Kylie Pencil Skirt- $19.90 Nordstrom Rack
- Fair Trade Organic Knit Pencil Skirt- $32.99 Fair Indigo
- Vince Camuto Pull-On Pencil Skirt – $69.00 Nordstrom
6.Black DressA dress, specifically black makes it easier to get dressed when you have no idea what to wear. If you’re uncertain of what kind of black dress to purchase, pick a wrap Dress since the silhouette is universally complimentary.
- Top Shop Body-Con Midi Dress- $14.00 Nordstrom
- Wrap Dress- $34.00 Pact
- Soprano Strapless Body-Con Dress- $29.40 Nordstrom
7.Black TrousersBlack trousers are comparative to black pencil skirts. This silhouette can take you from formal to casual. You can pair your black trousers with a silk cami and black pumps for a date night. Purchase skinny legged slacks for versatility.
- AE Paperbag Pants-$27.96 American Eagle
- Liz Claiborne Classic-Fit Secretly Slender Pull-On Pants $48.00 JCPenney
- Ryan Slim Straight-Fit Machine-Washable Bi-Stretch Pant $62.00 Banana Republic
8.JeansEvery woman has that one pair of jeans that she loves, and that is all you need. Just one pair of jeans that makes you feel confident, where it be skinny, straight, bootcut. As long as it makes your outfit look good buy it. There is no need for thousands of jeans. Purchase a dark wash because you can it dress up or down for many occasions.
- Levi’s Boyfriend Jeans -$44.99 Macy’s
- The High-Rise Skinny Jean (Regular) – $68 Everlane
- J BRAND Litah High-Rise Bootcut Jeans/Throne $76.04 Saks Fifth Avenue
9.BlazerBlazers can be worn to the job interview, to the office when you lend the job, to dinner, to church, to dates, etc. Should I keep going on why this piece is such an essential to your closet? Purchase a well-fitted blazer in a neutral color to match every outfit.
- Worthington Blazer $42 JCPenney
- Basic Blazer $49.90 Zara
- Mural Slouchy Boyfriend Blazer $74.00 Nordstrom
10.PumpsPerhaps one of the most wardrobe essentials is a pair of black pumps. You can wear it nearly everywhere, work, church, date, brunch or the club. Also, invest in a set of nude pumps to help elongate your legs when wearing a dress or skirt.
- Savilla Point-Toe Pumps $99.00 Vince Camuto
- Micheal Kors Flex Kitten Heel Pumps $99.00 Macy’s
- Christian Louboutin Pigalle Follies Pointy Toe Pump $695.00 Nordstrom
11.Simple FlatsIn comparison to the black pumps are black flats. I would recommend to also invest in black flats for the reasons mentioned above. Pick a pair of flats that aren’t too bulky so you can effortlessly fit in your purse to pull out at the office or dance club.
- Anya leather ballet flats $39.50 J Crew Factory
- Sam Elderman Felicia $100.00 Neiman Marcus
- Tory Burch ‘Minnie’ Travel Ballet Flat $228.00 Nordstrom
12.Denim JacketNo matter what your style is, a denim Jackets are essential. One reason denim jackets are quintessential because they can dress down any outfit. You can pair it with your trousers and camisoles for after work drinks. Go for a lighter wash for a more casual fit.
- NYDJ Frayed-Hem Denim Jacket $29.75
- AE boyfriend fit denim jacket $48.96 American Eagle
- Levi’s Ex-Boyfriend Trucker Denim Jacket $98.00 Free People
13.Moto JacketA moto jacket is equivalent to a denim jacket regarding versatility. There is something edgy about moto jackets that makes any outfit look chic. Purchase a moto jacket with minimal accessories for a classier look.
- NYC Faux Leather Moto Jacket $29.00 New York and Company
- Levi’s Faux Leather Moto Jacket $78.00 Nordstrom
- Blank NYC Life Changer Moto Jacket $98.00 Nordstrom
14. WatchA wardrobe essential that is most often skipped are accessories. One of the best accessories that complete your outfit and make you look chic and sophisticated is a watch. Purchase a Two-tone Gold and Silver for more versatility.
- SCARLETTE MULTIFUNCTION TWO-TONE STAINLESS STEEL WATCH $87.00 Fossil
- Citizens Women’s Two Tone Stainless Steel Bracelet Watch 18mm EJ5854-56A $99 Macys
- Bulova Women’s Diamond Collection Two-Tone Bracelet Watch, 32mm – 0.07 ctw $174.97 Nordstrom Rac
15.Crossbody BagPicking out a crossbody bag should be fun. Pick a pop yet versatile color that will look good with all of your basics to add a little fun to your wardrobe. Try a red, hot pink or leopard print. Pick a medium-sized crossbody to take you from day to night vibe.
- Karl Lagerfeld Paris Chrevron Quilted Leather Crossbody Bag $79.99 Gilt
- Rebecca Minkoff Love Quilted Leather Crossbody Bag $154.87 Saks Fifth Avenue
- Valentino by Mario Valentino Small Quilted Leather Crossbody Bag $219.99 Saks Off Fith