I have encountered an issue that has been going on for years with Instagram. If someone hacks your account or you make too many login attempts, or you signed in online, Instagram may flag your account, and when you try to log in, you get a pop up like below. This happened to me last week when I tried to log into Instagram on my computer. Sometimes you may receive the pop-up box below. If you did, click (it was you, and everything will go back to normal). If you did not, you would be prompted to input a verification code as shown above. In my case, I did not receive this pop-up, and my account was locked. As many of you and I will have come to realize, you will not get this code in the email. You are locked out. Like many of you, I did not have my facebook linked to my account. Therefore I couldn’t use that trick to bypass the code. Many online sources suggest creating a new account and other users declared that they lost their account for 5-12 + months. The best and perhaps the safest way (without losing your account forever) way to handle this problem is to contact Instagram. But here is the trick, Instagram has so many users, with so many issues that you have to make this issue look pressing so that you can get the situation resolved within three days or less. Steps:
- go on the app and press the login button
- Android users: add your username or email and click “get help signing in.” It’s important to add your username so that your image will pop up.
- iPhone users: add your username or email and click forgot password, on the next screen click “get more help” and it will lead you to the request support page
- once you press get help signing in, go down and click need more help. This will lead you to a support page. Add the email you have in your account on that field, click account with photos of me (hopefully it has your photos) and then say your account was hacked. In the description box, you have to make yourself sound human. Say something like “Hi, hows it going. My account was hacked, and I can’t log in. I am not receiving the verification code. Could you change my email to_______”. It is important to change your email because you will not be able to log back into that account with the same email. Instagram’s only solution to this issue is to reset your password, once you do, it will take you back to that same suspicious attempt login page.
- They will either one ask you to take a picture holding a piece of paper with a code written on it or two; they will ask you to verify your email. After that, they will change your email and send you the confirmation link. Do this immediately and change your number if you need to, most importantly, link your facebook to your account.